Thursday, February 7, 2008

Adultery!


I Was Checkin' Out, She Was Checkin' In is one of the most bitterly funny soul songs I know. A classic tale of double adultery: he´s checking out of the Hideaway Motel ("I was with my other woman...") and who does he see but his lawful wife, who just drove up there to check in "beside another dude". What a shock. After all, she was supposed to be at home, minding the kids. And the desk clerk even gives her the very room he has just vacated. What a terrible blow indeed. The way he sings "Lord!" is worth the price of admission alone. 

It´s not the only song Don Covay (of Mercy Mercy fame, covered by the Stones) recorded in this vein by the way. Somebody´s Been Enjoying My Home at first sounds like a sad lament from a cuckolded husband, but we soon find out all this happened while he was out there doing his woman wrong. "Girl, don´t do me like I did you..." The dude used his razorblade, walked in his shoes, but what really makes him mad is that his last sixpack is gone from the fridge. Great stuff. You can find both tracks on the sadly out of print cd Checkin´In With Don Covay (Mercury ´88). 

Don Covay - I Was Checkin' Out, She Was Checkin' In MP3
Don Covay - Somebody´s Been Enjoying My Home MP3

2 comments:

Paul said...

Boy that would really work as a country song too! Good listen.

Ramone666 said...

I guess that would work, and I´d love to hear it. Something for Merle Haggard maybe?